Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Why Do I Practice Family Law?

As a family law attorney, I often am asked, "Why do you practice family law?" People seem to sense that this area of the law must be difficult and wonder why an attorney would prefer to work in what they sense is a difficult career. When people ask me what I do for a living, I once said, "I am a firefighter." Why? Because I am constantly putting out fires and I was just trying to be funny. It was when the person said, "Me, too." That's when I knew I had to tell the truth.

I even ask myself why...who would engage in this practice of law when people are emotional and often difficult to work with? No one ever is happy, truly happy. Sometimes I drive home from work at night just clenching the steering wheel so tightly. I am stressed...due dates for documents, sad people, angry judges, complaining clients. Who needs this?

I equate family lawyers to E.R. doctors. We are available to assist the family with emergencies and are always doing crisis management and intervention. Unlike an E.R. doctor, however, we don't save lives, we merely assist families during a very difficult time. To me, I do not practice family law for fame or fortune, but rather because it is an area of law that can advance the health and well-being of families. The very challenging aspects of this area of law is what keeps me intrigued. A more mundane, routine practice of law would not engage me and keep me interested. Beleive me, I've entertained the thought of switching practice areas. Matter of fact, today, I received an email advertising an educational seminar on Animal Law. I never knew there was an area of law for animals. Who are your clients? I thought about it for a second, and then said, "Nahhh."

The very nature of this practice is why I enjoy it. It is hard. I do not get to meet the children, which I would love to do. Working as a family lawyer is all I can see myself doing and would miss the people and the interesting and challenging problems they face. There is never a dull moment and never two days that are even remotely similar. There is no predictability...and no way to explain how this career draws you in.

I invite other family lawyers to say why....why do they practice in this area of law?

No comments:

Post a Comment